Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Yet another tigress!

This afternoon, I'd gone to the GM service station in connection with the programming of a new ignition key for my Chevy. The job was to take only a couple of hours, but on my onward drive, I realised that there was some obstruction under the chassis consequent to which a scraping noise emanated whenever I'd take a hard right turn. The service engineer had, therefore, wanted the vehicle for overnight repairs.

After giving the necessary instructions, I'd gone to the nearby auto-rickshaw stand to find my way home and was met by a chirpy young lady whose rick's turn it was, in the long queue, to collect a customer. Giving my destination - she'd wanted to know as to whether I was aware of the short cut available and I'd given the important milestones - I realised that she was chirpy and had a tremendous enthusiasm, coupled with pride, in her work.

The conversation between us revealed that she was Sunita - somewhere in her mid 30s - who was the sole breadwinner for her family that consisted of her mother and three daughters. She'd long detached her husband, a good for nothing guy and an alcoholic! With a shake of her head, she'd said as a matter of fact and I quote, "Sir, there's no point in looking after a sloth and my children are better off without their father. I shall give them good education and ensure that they will do better than me in life".

Her poise and the confidence with which she looked at life was what I was impressed with. And the beauty was that there was no trace of bitterness about the manner in which life had treated her till date. Seeing the security guys brace up and salute as we passed through the gate, she remarked disarmingly, "Sir, you're a big person and it was kind of you to have talked to me. Can I've your cell number?"


Tailpiece.

As I gave her my number, I couldn't help but think deep within and tell her silently that I was nothing compared to what she's in this mad race of life! Sunita, here's me wishing you all that you wish for and let life's choicest things come to you on a platter. You simply deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment