Wednesday, June 26, 2013

An arrival......and a departure!

It was a wet morning to begin with. Ravi, the caretaker of our residential area had given me the first call of the day and that too a gloomy one. His brother-in-law, all of 51 years and languishing in the hospital for the past week, had passed away in the wee hours of the morning. I remember him breaking down before me only the other day, immediately after switching hospitals, saying that the doctors had given up hopes on his brother-in-law.

He seemed to be very attached to this gentleman - his wife's brother - and I'd to tell him about two instances that I was aware of where the patients who'd been 'written off' by the doctors had made remarkable comebacks. Wonder whether that was soothing enough but his sobs had begun to ebb, then. The funny thing was that I wasn't too sure about the rosy picture that I was painting but was satisfied that it was able to smooth his ruffled feathers, albeit, momentarily!

The next call was from home and it was my youngest 'ma'asi', who was thrilled about the fact that she'd become a grandmother. Vani, her daughter-in-law, had given birth to a baby girl again during the wee hours of this morning. I can imagine the thrill because firstly, it was a normal delivery and secondly, the good tidings had come around soon after the messy divorce that her elder son had gone through.

Life is a great leveller, eh?

And I'd got the news of the departure and the arrival.......both within a span of barely half an hour! Consequent grief in one family while giving tremendous happiness in another!!


Tailpiece.

Was reminded of what Justice Krishna Iyer had said in his unique style of humour and I quote, "I feel as though I'm at the departure lounge awaiting the departure of my flight. The wait has been long" and winked at me. God please continue to bless him with good health because it's people like him who light up this world and is a beacon of hope, for generations, by his principled and successful life!

No comments:

Post a Comment