Sunday, October 23, 2016

Laying the ground work.

Three frantic calls from my ma'asi, Indira kunjamma, at Thiruvananthapuram were the highlights of the day. She wanted to confirm my presence at the Amritha Institute of Medical Sciences at Kochi tomorrow when Suresh, her son-in-law, goes through the pre-surgery checks by the team of doctors who're handling his case. As I'd said earlier, Iyer, the encologist is the team leader and between him and I, we've a common friend in yet another doctor, Savio George, currently making money in Chicago. Savio is my classmate from Sainik School while he and Iyer did medicine together, soon after! I'd to tell Indira kunjamma about my programme, tomorrow, much against my usual practice so that she was at ease. And her parting shot, "You're gonna be there, I don't have to worry" made me feel that I'd 'godlike' powers to set things right!!

My cousin, Prabha, the advocate, after coming to know of my programme - that's why I hate telling out my itinerary to anyone - called me up to confirm as to whether I'd be looking up her husband, Ramakrishnan, who had undergone a cataract surgery on his left eye, the day before yesterday! So, it's gonna be a tight schedule out there and I've to return to 'The Quarterdeck' before sunset as Lekha is gonna be all by herself, during the period.

On return, I'll also have to look up Radhan chettan to ascertain his recuperation.                      

      *                                      *                                            *

Earlier in the morning today, Ramadasan Kochachhan had made a connect from Nasik. It was to inform the death of his grandson's father-in-law, all of 58 yrs, in the wee hours of today. The gentleman had, about two days' back, gone to the chemist near his house to buy medicines and on return, had a black out, fallen flat on the road and in the process, hit his head on the concrete road. He was rushed to the hospital but, meanwhile, a lot of blood was lost and he was in coma for the rest of his stay in the hospital.

Kochachhan, too, said that he felt relieved whenever he spoke to me and pegged the reason to his liking for me from my childhood. He recalled the days when he used to stay with us - within the naval base at Kochi, carrying me on his shoulders while trekking it to Thevara across the Venduruthy bridge to buy milk! Mom used to be weary of me being taken out but used to restrain herself seeing his enthusiasm, it seems!!


Tailpiece.

It's gonna be a long day tomorrow and no, I ain't driving. Why do it when the government and the private operators ply numerous buses, costing lakhs of rupees, for the public?    

No comments:

Post a Comment