Thursday, February 9, 2017

How the day meandered.

It was a bright sunny morning to begin with. Since I've been off from my morning walks because of a bad throat, I slept beyond my usual time and got up about half an hour late! Went through the usual morning chores and by 10 o'clock was off to town to get a few things done.

At Guruvayur, these days, the roads leading to the town are being resurfaced and hence, one has to take detours or end up wasting time in traffic blocks. In other countries, such repair work is undertaken during the silent hours to keep disruption to traffic at a minimum. Consequently, I saw a different face of the temple town that I'd never seen before, littered with garbage thrown all over by a population, immune to civic sense. What a pity?

The first stop was at the ICICI bank to drop my credit card cheque and the second was at the LIC office, to hand over the premiums of the two policies that Lekha and I have. What impressed me was the manner in which, Mr. Krishnadas, the branch's manager had conducted himself and his overall behaviour. Courteous and helpful, he's a shining example of how people working in offices must behave with the customers!

The third and final stop was at the SBI, that I frequent and both, Jayakumar and Subha had helped get my work done without delay. The crowd at the bank had dwindled down and the ATM facilities, all over, have picked up operations since the glitches have become a thing of the past! After interactions - I try to keep my forays and conversations to a minimum because they've a lot of work and keeping a customer waiting because of my banter was something that I detested - I returned home and Laazar, the autorickshaw driver had conducted me through my 'chukker'. Thankfully, I'd decided against taking my Chevy because I'd have got stuck in the traffic block while Laazar could manipulate his three wheeler through no space, even!

Kausalya, the maid who frequents our place from nearby Ponnani, finally had dropped by around teatime. She'd come to drop her niece at her parents' place out here, have a darshan of the good Lord and drop by to meet us. She was coming here for the first time after mom's passing away and remembered her last visit when mom had given a saree of her's and she'd helped mom to go round the corner. Mom was really fond of her because she was not only a hard worker but had pleasing manners! The poor lady is rebuilding her house with financial assistance from the local panchayat but to her bad luck, the stones from the quarry and the bricks are not on supply due to a technical delay! She left for her house before sunset.

The evening walk was nice and we'd settled down to a quiet evening thereafter.


Tailpiece.

My official driver, Benoy, had undergone a major surgery yesterday at the Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram where the steel rods put in place at the KIMS hospital about ten days ago @ an exhorbitant Rs.4 lakhs were removed. The flesh in the youngster's leg needs to firm up and also augmented from elsewhere in his body, before inserting the support rods.

What's so great about the KIMS hospital, I wonder? Charging high rates and still botching up in the manner they provide treatment is definitely not acceptable! 

No comments:

Post a Comment