Sunday, February 5, 2017

My Sagardhwani years(5)

The next assignment came by, quicker than I'd expected. It was all about noise measurement in and around the Bombay High. My adrenaline was pumped up and soon, we were off to Bombay and berthed at the outer side of the south breakwater. As the logistics were being augmented during the interim period, I got to meet many of my friends after what had been a long time.

The eight day deployment was another great teacher. Total power shut downs used to be simulated on board the ship - at night - to allow the scientists to launch their probes into the waters and measure the prevalent sounds around, while the ship remained on a totally silent regime! As the ship drifted by the will of the tide and currents, at times the massive oil rigs seemed to approach us uncomfortably close. But setting aside my own apprehensions, pumping enough confidence into my navigator and the others through my navigation and ship handling capabilities, we're able to facilitate the scientists in getting fantastic readings that eventually resulted in a comprehensive and reliable data bank of the noises prevalent off the Bombay High.

It was, thus, a triumphant return to Kochi after touching the ports of Goa, Karwar and New Mangalore, enroute with the ops division allowing me to enter the ports, at will, to allow me to make my pilotage! The fact was that they're were thrilled at issuing sailing orders for my ship which was not conceivable even six months before! At Goa, the Flag Officer - he was the FOST earlier - advised me to get back to Kochi and tom tom my achievements, so that everyone was clear about the stupendous work that we'd done to reach this state. Little did he realise that I was a guy who firmly believed that my seniors knew what efforts I was putting in and that they'd consequently give me an annual confidential report that I deserved, keeping all the related factors in mind. In fact, two admirals who'd visited my ship soon after told me, "Rajeev, if you're in any navy, your next two promotions are assured by your hard work and dedication". The fact that eventually things did not shape up the way it was forecast was another matter altogether.

I'd, however,  achieved my aim. By having the ship carry out two differing assignments - one on the eastern seaboard and the other on the western seaboard - thousands of nautical miles apart, I was able to prove that the ship was truly operational and available for further operational exploitation!

Suddenly, I saw the attitudes changing in many. From the deeply sympathetic one of, "Why did you have to get posted on a lousy ship? Try to get a change" to "You must go through an inspection by the command. Only then will we come to know as to what you've really achieved". I did come to hear about real hostile behaviour towards my boys, from the staff ashore, while they're quite nice to me. Did they want me to fail, I wonder, when I think about it in retrospect?


Tailpiece.

1. We went through the CinC's inspection and I'll never forget his comment after inspecting the ceremonial parade on the forecastle of the ship on a thoroughly wet Kochi morning, "I'm quite happy to see the tremendous enthusiasm of your officers and men. Their turn out and drill movements have been good. Sunday routine can be followed on a time, convenient. And God bless!"

2. A week later, came my marching orders - a shift of berth, in naval parlance. I was to take up duties of Deputy Director, C-LABS, the acronym for the 'Center for Leadership and Behavioural Studies'. In the morning, after handing over command to my successor, I chose to go down the accommodation ladder, into the ship's boat and chug along to the south jetty, ceremonially saluting my ship - for the last time - that I loved unconditionally for the previous one and a half years. As I drove off in my car subsequently, I realised that my eyes were moist!

3. And that ends my Sagardhwani years.

No comments:

Post a Comment