Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Off to Thiruvananthapuram.

It was an early morning, as usual, on such occasions. Was up at 5 and made sure that Lekha wasn't disturbed as I went through my chores but she was up and about, half an hour later to have the breakfast and lunch ready! Anto was on another trip and therefore, I'd called my standby, Ashraf who seemed to be unwell but the poor guy had made it just for me, damn sweet of him and I was at the state road transport corporation stand well in time.

The super fast bus left smack on time and we sped southwards. We're at the Vyttila hub by a quarter past 10, a quick freshening up followed by a snack washed down with a cup of tea. I'd then moved on to the bay no.2 where the low floor buses for Thiruvananthapuram are parked. Earlier, I'd thanked the driver, Swanand who stays at Kochi and congratulated him for his good driving. His reply, "This is the first time that someone has commended my driving. Thank you, sir, for your kind words!", surprised me and I quietly conceded that it was my style. Period!

While waiting at the second bay for the low floor bus, I'd made a quick dash to rinse my mouth and that proved to be disadvantageous, in that, the crowd had surged in and I finally managed the center seat in the last row. It was when the conductor had come around to give us the tickets and he helped me wear the seat belt that I realised that it was the same pair of driver and conductor - Anil and George - who were taking us to Thiruvananthapuram. Their thrill gave me an added dose of enthusiasm and my travel weariness had disappeared!

Lekha's lunch was had at a quarter to 2, when the bus was stopped for the lunch recess a trifle ahead of the Kayankulam bus stand. Landed at Thampanoor bus stand in Thiruvananthapuram by a quarter to 5 from where Maman had had me picked up. Once at the Foundation, it was like being with the family and I'd joined the activities with a gay abandon. The 'Science Exploratory' looks imposing and I'm sure that this project of 'getting science to the masses' is gonna be  a super hit!

It was a series of shuttles - approving the documentary at the swanky digital lab after a few edits, cleaning up the bus, taking it to the Ganapati kshetram for puja and finally, parking it at the premises of the Kanakakkunnu Palace, the venue of the functions over the next two days.



Tailpiece.

Reached Maman's place close to midnight. Had time to exchange quick niceties with Ammayi and Manu before sitting at the keyboard.     

No comments:

Post a Comment