Friday, December 27, 2013

Homeward bound!

After three days of non-stop partying, it's time to wind up and return. The night had been late after the reception last evening, with yakkitiyak at yet another friend's place. And the beauty about it was that none of us wanted the session to end despite the fact that our eyelids were getting to be heavier with every passing minute - a midnight coffee was pressed into service to keep it going that reminded me about our good 'ole days of the class XI examinations!

Was chauffeured to the airport well in time and hence, there was plenty of time available with me to interact with Dhananjaya as his flight was about a half an hour after mine. He'd opened up on the continuing medication that has become a must for his sustenance. The biggest residual effect of the serious wounds inflicted upon him, followed by a series of corrective surgeries(many of them done without anesthesia because he'd low blood pressure and problematic kidneys!) done on him to ease out his difficulties, has been the loss of the sensation of smell. I'd a lump in my throat when he said that he has forgotten as to what that sensation was at all! As my flight was called, we got into a bear hug and had promised to keep up with each other's news and woes from now on.

When I looked back from the bend, after which he was gonna get out of sight, I saw him straining to have a look see and was waving at me which I reciprocated. A friendship that has been cemented over the last three days of interaction and also because our rooms were adjacent to each other! And mind you, we hardly had come across each other while at the Academy because he was in 'Lima' and I was in 'Hunter'.

The flight was choc-a-bloc full making me wonder as to why everyone was making a scramble to 'malluland'. Probably to spend the new year's eve with their friends and relatives and of course, there was a large bunch of tourists among the passengers. As we're coming into land at Kochi, the pilot had to abort his first approach at landing, open throttle and climb again to carry out the second attempt as our flight had narrowly missed a bird hit!


Tailpiece.

Two hours later and after downing delicious tea at a wayside tea-stall, I was back at home. And we're already fine tuning the departure time of our journey tomorrow. The wedding of my classmate's son is on 30 Dec and we've to be at Thiruvananthapuram without fail for the occasion!




No comments:

Post a Comment