Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Musings.

Life has been meandering on without any extraordinary event taking place but it has kept us occupied throughout, so much so, that our world seems to have shrunk within the four walls of our house. The only contact with the outside world is through the telephone calls that come by, the television, the radio and of course, the net. My walks, both in the morning and in the evening, have been invigorating exercises, occasions to run minor errands and to observe people!

My musings, today, are based on my observations of people whom I've come across over the past ten days of our being here and here I go:-

   (a) The caring patriarch.

    He's known to everyone as 'Hariyettan'. All of 87 years, he's a stickler for orderliness and is very,
    very observant. To cite just a sample, he tells me that the security light of my house had been
    burning till a half past 5 this morning and that I'd left for my walk at a quarter to 6! He's been
    helpful by giving tools, accessories and  the details of the right source to the boys at work at my
    place. In other words, he's been very protective about us and ever willing to help which are
    contrary to what was painted about him by some others. Perhaps, we've become his favourites!

    It was his family's day of conducting the entire 'puja' today at the Guruvayur temple and he was
    the heart, soul and the driving force of the stellar show.

    Bash on regardless, chetta! Here's wishing that you're bestowed with good health and happiness
    for the years to come and a huge thanks for everything.

    (b) The 'ogre' effect.

     I've always wondered as to what persona I present to the others and would love to put across
     myself as one who minds his business, can do no harm and can be relied upon in case any help
     was required. So, it bewilders me when I notice quite a few of the fairer sex bracing up,
     straightening imaginary creases off their clothing and dart an occasional glance towards me
     as they pass by. Why, of course, my eyes are casually on them - I'm observing people, you see!

     Do I give them the 'ogre' effect, I wonder?

     (c) A flurry of xeroxing activity.

      Since every single activity like applying for a new ration card, getting a cooking gas connection
      or a telephone connection requires 'a proof of identity' and 'a proof of residence', the small
      bookshop-cum-photostat shop is a place that I frequent to xerox many of the documents. The
      outfit is manned by two young ladies who cutely refer to me as the 'new Captain sir' in their
      neighbourhood and one of them admitted, while the other nodded in consonance, that they now
      know me thoroughly from the personal documents that have been scanned.

      How I wish that I could be like 'Mr. Walker of Denkali', of the favourite Phantom comics of
      childhood who moved around incognito while giving the roughnecks shivers down their spines?


Tailpiece.

Slowly finding my feet in the new environment. But the surprise with which people used to ask me as to why we're going to settle down in a new place used to make me wonder as to whether I was taking the right decision. From the experiences thus far, I do not think that I've erred! 


 
     



        

No comments:

Post a Comment