Saturday, December 7, 2013

North by north-west and other trivia!

After a week of being at home overseeing the ongoing work, I'd decided to catch up on work that required my moving out despite the fact that there were people fixing up various things that were essential for a hassle-free living. It was on this note that we'd gone to register our cards at the polyclinic at Kunnamkulam, an overcrowded hamlet about 9 km north from where I live. But I hadn't bargained for the horrible traffic brought about by the narrow roads, ongoing repairs in patches and the weekend traffic.

And as I unwittingly turned into a wrong intersection, the helpful traffic cop had extricated me from the melee and I'd gunned my Chevy into a comparatively freer thoroughfare headed for a direction different to my requirement. The guiding thought being that I could get into the actual highway by taking a side feeder. But alas, on this quest I did make a long detour to arrive at the destination. The registration formalities didn't take much time and the subsequent interactions were worthwhile.

         *                                                    *                                                      *

Prabhath, one of the electrical boys working at our place was of a great help as I was submitting our written application(why it's required despite an earlier request made on line shows our general mistrust of computers! Or is it that the human connection is maintained for corrupt practices, I wonder?). He'd brought in a forgotten document to the office, upon my instructions to where I was, saving me an additional trip. And his services were also elicited as a witness to certify that my wife was indeed mine. I was explaining to him the reasons for taking his signature when he cutely replied, "You don't have to explain, I shall do anything for you". What should I say about such helpful and enlightened people except to thank my stars for having them around!

         *                                                     *                                                    *

Pulling money out of an ATM gives me the jitters, always. What if the system misbehaves? What if I take too much of time while there is a serpentine queue waiting impatiently for their turn etc are some of the difficulties that I experience whenever I go for such transactions and since the bank had closed for the day, the remedy in case of a faux pas, would only be available only after the weekend making it a nightmarish experience. Anyways, nothing of that sort was encountered and the required amount was safely pocketed though I'd insisted on Lekha being with me to correct me if I erred. The cctv camera must have recorded my apprehensions!


Tailpiece.

1. A major chunk of the work was left undone thanks to frequent power interruptions. The weekend will have to be spent with the shortfalls.

2. Our first dinner invite on reaching here at our neighbour's. A thoroughly enjoyable get together and they seemed to be happy that their surrounding was suddenly resonating with activity! 

       













  

No comments:

Post a Comment