Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Off to Pune.

It's an early morning walk with a fairly strong breeze flowing by. I was excited by the fact that I was taking off for Pune within a few hours to attend the wedding and reception of Chaithanya's children. I've a strong affinity for the city since my Academy days though it has grown to be an unwieldy behemoth over the years, but retains its charm all the same!

The flight was delayed by half an hour, an information that was passed on through the telephone as well as by sms as Unnikrishnan drove me to the Kochi airport. I'd not taken any chances as it's about a two hour's drive from my place, provided the traffic was okay. Meanwhile, I could also get the clarification from Lekha's doctor that the perked up ulcer on her leg did not require additional medicines after reading the results of the 'pus culture' that was initiated during her visit to him last Friday and boy, didn't it give me a solid relief?

The journey was uneventful and the touchdown at the destination was around a quarter to 4. The white foam on the waters of the Mutha, visible from the sky, was a grim reminder of the wrong things that mankind is doing by pushing pollutants into the river. Chaithanya had organised our pick up and transportation to our accommodation and after a quick wash and change on arrival, we're transported to the venue of the 'sangeet' ceremony at the Sainik Aaraamgarh lawns.

It was a tremendous trip down memory lane. I'd the privilege of meeting a lot many of my old friends after a very, very long time. The conversation just didn't seem to stop and there was an all pervading mood that the evening just went on and on, the prevalent nip in the air notwithstanding! The variety entertainment on offer was aptly timed and well conceived and the artistic talent of the family was on display.

Congratulations, Aanjaneya-Sana and Anushree-Chirag! Here's wishing that you get whatever you wish for in your lives together. And Chaithanya-Ameeta, I'm glad that I could be with you on your joyous occasion.


Tailpiece.

1. As we're driven back to our accommodation, the gaiety of Christmas was on display with the 'Midnight Mass' on, in full swing in the churches that came our way and the lights on display looked nice. And I'd wished myself a merry Christmas.

2. Dhananjaya Raina had travelled with me, earlier in the evening from the airport and we're meeting after about 40 years. He and the late NS Rao were badly mauled during the end-of-term social as a prelude to their passing out from the Academy. It's the celebration of a custom and a tradition where the juniors took it on their seniors through the course of an evening, so that all grudges were removed and they parted as friends to become comrades-at-arms subsequently. But sometime during that fateful evening, the lines had got blurred and a few youngsters couldn't bridle their strong emotions and it happened during my course's watch, whose duty it was to ensure that the celebrations never went out of hand! He went through the episode, upon my insistence, but was neither angry nor sad at the event or its perpetrators. I could only apologise, on behalf of my course, yet again but the lump was there in my throat despite the lapse of time!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment