Saturday, December 28, 2013

The roads were bad!

We'd set off from Guruvayur at a 5 to 11. The weather was nice and we're raring to go because it's almost two months since we'd visited our house at Kottarakkara. I must add that Mom was very excited and I could understand her sentiments! We should be able to reach within about four and a half hours, so I'd estimated. But how wrong I was?

I'd not reckoned for the traffic snarls that would pop up with a remarkable regularity making me wonder whether it was conspiratorial.

The first had popped just 5 kms into the journey. A heavily laden lorry, badly mauled in an early morning accident, was being towed away by a crane and consequently, the double lane traffic was being squeezed into a single lane by the police. We'd to wait for almost an hour on that stretch. The second was just short of the Kochi airport and we'd lost more than an hour because the volume of traffic was quite high as it was the merging point of two highways.

Our woes were far from over. Similar traffic snarls were experienced at three more vantage points. The total time lost at those three spots amounted to a trifle over two hours. Now you can imagine the mess that I'd been reduced to, at the end of it all, by virtue of being behind the wheel.

A bad day, indeed, from the driving point of view! But seeing mom's thrill on reaching our house, my fatigue just evaporated!!


Tailpiece.

It was catching up with Minni's news about her life at Bangalore. She's in cloud nine after what seemed to be a long time and laughs easily. I'm glad for her!  

No comments:

Post a Comment