Sunday, December 22, 2013

Touching base.

It's mom's 79th birthday today. The usual activities like the cutting of the cake and giving her a gift for the occasion went off like a song. My sister and brother-in-law, along with their friends living in the same building, made it a just about manageable crowd. What had the unmistakable imprint of the old lady was her ability to make friends withing the short time that she has been there. I saw a couple of her contemporaries bidding her farewell with tears in their eyes and insisting upon her that she visits her daughter more often so that they could also get to meet her.

The drive of about a 100 kms was smooth though the Chevy was heavily laden with stuff. We stopped for a break coupled with a cup of tea at a wayside motel and the guard on security, Babu, asked me in hushed tones as to whether I was a film actor much to the amusement of Lekha and mom but I was nonplussed because I've already rated myself a three out of a maximum of 10 in the looks department, remember? But Babu, it was damn sweet of you to give me that much of importance! And since mom and Lekha'd difficulty in their movements, they'd decided to have their cuppa in the car itself. I placed the order on the proprietor, adding that I'd collect the tea before I'd rushed to the rest room to relieve my 'about-to-burst bladder' only to return and find that the gentleman had done the honour. There're plenty of nice people all around us!

And by about a quarter to 4, we touched base. I'd driven 490 kms over the past few days and achieved a few milestones that were time bound and important. But disaster struck in the form of a leaking faucet and the kitchen was converted to a mini lake - the services of the plumber and the electrician were sought and the defects rectified after a few harrying moments.

Five days of absence! Plenty of dust has settled and a lot of dry leaves lay in the courtyard. It's a task cut out for Lekha's understudy tomorrow to spend those extra minutes for clearing the muck. Settling down had taken a wee bit longer with a rush to the market for sundries, unpacking the different sets of packages and bags and piecing together the newly bought racks for stowage! And it was the end of another journey!!


Tailpiece.

Mom had selected her room and was quick to unpack her personal stuff into the closet. And here's wishing that she enjoys every bit of her stay with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment