Sunday, March 23, 2014

Can't understand the silence!

I've a close relation of mine staying nearby. On settling down at 'The Quarterdeck', I'd contacted him and invited him over which he did. He's fond of my mom and they'd hit it off well during that visit, picking up the thread from where they'd left years back.

He'd retired from the state road transport corporation about 15 years back. Due to his over indulgence on the good things of life, he's all sorts of ailment from hypertension to an erratic heart to an enlarged liver. Whenever we meet, I take the liberty of telling him to lead a more healthy life and his standard answer is that there's nothing much to be gained out of it at this late(?) stage of his life.

Early last month, mom was dropped at their place because we'd to attend a function at a place that was quite far away and she'd wanted to avoid the travel. She was overwhelmed by their hospitality and on the rebound had promised to prevail upon me to part with the stock, in my wine cellar, for his consumption. I remember being angry with her for it because neither did I want to spoil his health nor did I want to resort to such practices because it's a way of getting to be a habit, that's best avoided. I did tell him to that effect and I'm sure that though he'd have felt bad at my 'nyet' he'd have understood the spirit(No, no pun intended please) behind my decision!

Subsequently, came my attachment with the hospital on account of Lekha's medical requirement and events had overtaken the daily humdrum of life. Mom's also away with my sister and will join us once Lekha returns to her normal activities!

I'm yet to hear anything from this relation of mine after my negative answer. Does he feel put off by the fact that I dared to refuse his request? If that be so, is that the only reason for him to want to communicate with me or be in touch with me? I must hastily add that I do not insist upon people looking us up in times of difficulty because everyone has his/her own life to live and attendant things to worry about. But his silence, ever since our last meeting, has been deafening!

If he's cross with me, I shall try to mollify him because there's no need to be 'enemies' at this stage of one's life - one'd played out that act many a time during the good 'ole school days!


Tailpiece.

Actually, he's been a sort of a rebel all through his life and has cocked a snook at the system, even in his professional career. In his personal life too, he's had complications - he'd left his wife and two sons to marry another lady with whom he'd fallen in love during his treatment at an ayurvedic spa. The net result is that his sons do not keep in touch with him because of his shoddy treatment of their mother and he's no children from the second marriage.       

No comments:

Post a Comment