Sunday, March 2, 2014

Life's but a matter of timing!

It was like any other Sunday morning except that we're away from the comfortable confines of our home and housed in a single room of a hospital, that reminds me of the Captain's cabin of the last ship that I'd commanded, of course, sans the majesty and the attendant trappings, but comfortable! We'd gone through the morning chores, even finishing our breakfast, to be ready for the customary morning rounds of the doctor.

And in the meanwhile the conservancy staff had cleaned up the room, emptied the waste basket and changed the linen. Everything goes like clockwork without much fuss and the nurse on duty had placed the set of morning medicines in the small crucible, placed in the room for the purpose.

The doctor and his team came and went, with him announcing that he'd remove the dressing on the wound from where the skin was taken for the graft, tomorrow. And the dressing at the point of graft would be removed only by the end of the week!

And it was then that I went to have a look see at my Chevy, at the parking and to pick up an English newspaper as I'd already got my copy of the Malayala Manorama. The first vendor drew a blank and the good man that he was, he'd directed me to another behind the main block.

As I finally reached him, a gentleman who was just a step ahead of  me bought a copy of the English newspaper. And when it was my turn, the vendor had a helpless look as he told me that it was the last copy.

My timing was just not right.......and as I made my trudge back to our room, I saw the owner walk away with his copy of the newspaper into an adjacent block.

An aspect of life that gets reinforced by events, time and again, during one's lifetime!


Tailpiece.

That I got a copy of the newspaper later through my cousin, who was visiting her mom, was incidental and did not alter the situation that I'd mentioned earlier!  

No comments:

Post a Comment