Saturday, January 4, 2014

An unforgivable slip!

The day had begun early for all of us as today was the big day. The PM was gonna inaugurate the PN Panicker Vigyan Vikas Kendra's ambitious programme of achieving 100% or Total E-literacy in the state within 33 months. The programme takes into account the following:-

     (a) Everyone would be the owner of a smart phone by the year 2015.
     (b) If each and everyone is able to send an e-mail, he or she'd be able to get into the vast world of
          the ethernet and be the recipient of unlimited knowledge.
     (c) Ensuring the availability of the hardware at affordable costs to the poorest of the poor.

We'd kicked off from home soon after 8 o'clock and reached the venue about 20' later. The SPG and the police had by then created an impregnable fortress around the Kanakakkunnu palace for the programme rescheduled at 1020h. Though we'd the passes for ourselves and for the car, I was asked to disembark the passengers at the entrance before being directed into the car park about three tiers below.

And it was at that juncture that I'd committed the unforgivable error. The sequence of events went something like this:-

      (a) My mom was getting off from the right rear of my Chevy, with my aunt in attendance.
      (b) Aniyan, my younger uncle, calls up on my cellphone to inquire about his entrance pass and
            I tell him about its whereabouts.
      (c) After the conversation, I start the car without confirming as to whether my mom was safely
           out and away from the car.
      (d) Seeing the forward movement of the car, my aunt caught hold of my mom and bodily lifted
            her to safety.
      (e) The policeman on the spot was angry with me for my irresponsible act because had it not
            been for my aunt's alacrity, my car's rear wheel would have run over my mom. But seeing
            me he gave me a knowing grin and showed by sign language that everything was okay.
      (f) A fellow motorist coming up at that instant from the opposite direction and sensing the
           dangerous situation that I was in blocked my passage angering me then. But weren't I so
           obliged to him for his thoughtful act, later?

I was angry with myself and wondered as to why I make such unmindful errors time and again.

The PM's programme went off without a hitch like clockwork.

Later, I'd taken the entire family to lunch at a popular joint as a quid pro quo for not having celebrated my housewarming at Guruvayur on a large scale!


Tailpiece.

1. I couldn't shake myself off the serious lapse on my part earlier in the day, however much I tried to channelise my thoughts elsewhere. Apologies mom, for having let you down.

2. And her comment sometime after the event, " Son today I'd have gone under your car", without even the slightest hint of anger........ I'd a lump in my throat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment