Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Getting to be accepted.....slowly.

It's been exactly a couple of months that I've been here. My regular walks, both in the morning and in the evening, have made me visible to a lot of people that I come across. As I'd said earlier, a knowing look, a smile with a nod of the head or a faint hint of a smile and finally, the unfurling of the half masted dhoti/lungi accompanied with folded hands have been the different types of responses that I've been privileged to receive thus far. I must admit that I get a heady feeling whenever I'm acknowledged!

This evening, Ashwin, a young boy studying in class IX, dismounted from his bicycle and had invited me to his home to meet up with his parents. Much as I hate interruptions of any sort while I'm on my walks, I didn't have the heart to pour water on the youngster's enthusiasm and it was from his parents that I came to know that the boy has been talking about my interaction with his group of friends and him during my last public outing. And it was then that the lad had confessed to having cycled up to my gate twice but had got funked at the last moment and pedalled away. I've invited the family to my house this Sunday.

    *                                         *                                       *

I'd driven into the closest petrol bunk for filling up my Chevy but was told very sweetly(?) by the female attendant that credit cards were unacceptable. Since I had an appointment soon after, I'd decided to let it go at that but come back at a later stage to sort out the matter once for all. As I was winding up my walk, I'd walked up to the bunk's manager to find out as to why plastic money was not entertained despite the fact that it's a common happening elsewhere.

He was profusely apologetic on behalf of the attendant saying that she was ignorant of the fact that I stayed in the vicinity - the proprietor is my neighbour and a good friend, who's a successful businessman but a humble man. Since the bunk is on the state highway, it has a lot of customers on transit from faraway places and they've had problems, in the past, created by the use of credit cards by quite a few of the passing motorists. Therefore, there was an understanding among the team of attendants to discourage the use of the credit cards except for 'known' customers.

He's offered to have my car filled up, first thing tomorrow morning before I kick off on a long trip.


Tailpiece.

I suppose everything has a time of its bidding! There's no point in worrying about things not happening the way one wants!!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment