Friday, January 10, 2014

It's been two years!

Two years back, on this day, my dad had passed into the mist of time. As I went about my morning walk, I recalled my happy moments with him.

A quiet, simple man with a vast knowledge of any subject that one could think of - thanks to the voracious reader that he was - and a gentleman to the core, would be my single line description of him. Actually, it's unfair on my part to write a one-line epitaph on him as he was a multifaceted personality.

His admirers, friends and many of our relatives called up through the day to tell me that they remembered him and prayed for him on his remembrance day. My sister had presented our contribution for this year, to the Headmistress of the school, towards stocking up with books at a wing of its library, dedicated to his memory. The books, in turn, will be purchased by a committee consisting of the teachers, the parents and the students of the school and presented for issuing to the library on 'vayana dinam' viz. 19 Jun.

The battery operated toy fish that he'd gifted me when I was young and which is still in working condition, continues to adorn the show case of our ancestral house as a testimony to the fact that he'd insisted upon giving us the best and also accentuates the fact that there's a sort of 'permanence' in this otherwise fast moving life of ours.

Mom had recounted her days with him and told a few of our guests, who'd come by, that their wedding anniversary was fast approaching - 16 Jan - and that she tried to concentrate on the good memories of that day while living down the bad ones of this day!

We miss you dad, at every waking moment of ours.


Tailpiece.

1. The landscaping exercise has been completed. I know that I've taken on additional responsibilities by agreeing to water the plants and the freshly laid patch of Mexican grass, every day. Phew!

2. My aunt has been admitted into the 'Jubilee Mission Hospital' about 30 kms from here. She's badly diabetic and risks the surgical removal of her left toe. But prior to that she's being subjected to an hourly Oxygen therapy, everyday, for a week, to rejuvenate her system before taking the final decision. Just hope like mad that the surgery is avoided!

3. Achu was seen off at the bus stand as he's on to the next serial of his itinerary - a visit to his paternal aunt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment