Sunday, January 5, 2014

Thiruvananthapuram to Guruvayur via Kochi.

Most of the day, today, I'd spent behind the wheel and I must admit that I enjoyed every minute of it. We'd set off from my maman's house by a 5' to 7. They'd tried to prevail upon us to postpone our journey by a day so that we could be with them during the off day but we'd to say 'nyet' so that we could keep a date - nay, not one but two! Being a Sunday, the highway was comparatively quiet and we could have our first stop after Thiruvalla for stretching ourselves and to have a good cup of coffee/snacks. The Chevy was refuelled and the tyres checked for pressure.

And by a quarter to 11, we're at the Manarcaud church as li'l Neil's baptism was about to begin. Since the parking bay was a trifle distant from the altar and since mom had problems of walking, she'd opted to sit in the car while we'd gone in to attend the ceremony. We couldn't sit through the complete proceedings as I'd another work to do at Kochi before 1 o'clock and after taking the hosts' permission we'd taken off, politely declining the lunch on offer at a hotel at Kottayam.

I must add here that the overall ambiance of the Manarcaud church - one of the oldest in the south - has never failed to excite me whenever I've visited the place and today was no exception!

We're on the dot for the second appointment and I could put my signatures on the documents that required urgent processing. And after a quick bite, we'd resumed our journey to Guruvayur and managed to steer clear of the traffic regulations being brought about for the PM's programme at 3, in the city. It's about 10' past five and after clocking a distance of about 919 kms spread over eight days that we'd finally reached our house. And yes, all the milestones had been met!

And without much ado, I was off for my evening walk. O, it's nice to be back and refreshing to breathe the healthy air of the temple town as I kept a gruelling pace for having missed out on my exercises for the last complete week. My neighbour was kind enough to fill in with the events and the non-events during our absence and concluded by saying, "Nice to have you back. It's a great relief to see your windows open and the lights burning". And I knew that he was neither fibbing nor being politically correct! Well!!


Tailpiece.

After my exercises, we'd gone to the market for some essential purchases and by the time I'd turned in for the night it was close to midnight.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment