Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Small things, great happiness!

Since I'm choosy about my personal effects, it takes a long time to set things right and get them as I want them to be. So has been the case in our nest, 'The Quarterdeck'. Today, however, I've been able to get two things fixed after what seemed to be an inordinately long wait and they did bring me a lot of happiness and therefore, please allow me to blabber about them:-

  (a) The home theater.

   Firstly, I must begin by saying that it's neither elaborate nor expensive. The idea was to have the house
   reverberating with music all the time. The tuner had to be tuned to receive the FM radio frequencies and
   the exercise of putting up its antenna for flawless reception took a great amount of time and effort but the
   guys, Vimal and Vipin did a marvellous job as they knew my requirement. The triad - tuner, CD/DVD
   decks and the television had to to be integrated and laid out in a compact, eye pleasing manner - was
   made operational a trifle after sunset.

   I must confess, being the non-technical guy that I am, I did have problems in handling the 'remote controls'    - there are too many of them, for comfort - while switching over from one system to the other. But being
   able to listen to the evergreen numbers was tremendous and brought me the happiness of having achieved
   it, albeit, a trifle late!

  (b) Clean surroundings.

   There's a small patch of land adjacent to my house that has been lying vacant and which had a lot of dry
   grass and muck - partially of my making, while unpacking in the process of settling down - that had
   been begging of a decent disposal all these days. But my lethargy and concentration on other things were
   the reasons for putting off the essential job, time and again.

   What galvanised me into action was when I found two bags of waste - thankfully, not crap as one reads
   in the newspapers - dumped at the site by outsiders. I'd have surely bashed up the culprits had I seen
   them and it seems to have been done sometime during silent hours!

   Yudhishtir, a migrant labourer from Brahmapur in Orissa, was the knight in shining armour who did a
   marvellous job in cleaning up and making a bonfire of the entire waste. The plot, now looks clean and neat.
   And I'm gonna watch for anyone trying to dump waste there from now on.

 
Tailpiece.

Was watching the absolute mess - through television grabs - the Delhi Chief Minister was making by holding the 'dharna' against the central government for swift action on the recalcitrant policemen. Thankfully, it's all over by the end of the day. Hope his government now gets down to brass tacks and takes decisions to set the rotten things right!      

No comments:

Post a Comment