Thursday, January 16, 2014

The traditional ayurveda medical system.

Ever since I've begun to live out here, I've been on the lookout for a system where the ayurveda medical practices were followed in the traditional manner. I'd heard of families that practiced this genre of medicine in its pristine form and stories abound as to how the knowledge and the manner in which treatment were to be conducted for differing ailments, were passed on orally from one generation to the other. And if by misfortune, the family had no rightful heir, then the knowledge disappeared from this world with the passing away of the last practitioner!

What a colossal waste of knowledge which could have been a great help to mankind? I'm of the opinion that there has been no meaningful governmental efforts to nurture this form of medicine and to retrieve the abundant knowledge that's around. And on the flip side, there has been a mushrooming of numerous 'spas' that promise genuine ayurvedic massages but do not even possess the fundamental knowledge about the viscosity, temperature and the type of oils that are to be used. Nor do they've the foggiest idea as to what the right occasion is in a day - by virtue of time - to carry out the process of treatment to ensure successful results. And mind you, an inappropriate ayurveda treatment can be detrimental with disastrous results.

My mom has been having severe problems in locomotion and it was for her benefit that I was looking for a genuine practitioner of traditional ayurvedic medicine - that too, a lady - and my long wait, finally, proved fruitful when my friend, Narayanan had put me on to Sobhini. Businesslike and with an inquisitive mind, she didn't waste any time to assess my mom's condition before coming up with what she proposed to do. Earlier, she'd chucked her practice of 'no house calls' to come along with me to have a look see at mom.

The treatment cycle is gonna be for 28 days at the end of which she's promised to make mom free of all her pains. And for starters, she's put my mom on 'Kashaayams,' 'arishtams' and 'lehyams'.

Yet, another serial is on!


Tailpiece.

1. The final approaches to the clinic are very narrow and I managed to get a scrape on my Chevy much to my chagrin. But for mom's movements, to and from the clinic, from tomorrow onward I've sought the services of Anto and his auto rickshaw!

2. It also happened to be my parents' wedding anniversary. Mom, as usual, was expansive about the events on her wedding day, many eons back!



       

No comments:

Post a Comment