Thursday, January 30, 2014

Li'l Sanath's discomfiture and other mini stories.

This morning we're off to Aluva to attend the wedding of a cousin of Lekha. Her younger sister and son, Sanath - all of four years and very sharp - had come in their car to take us along.

 (a) Li'l Sanath's discomfiture.

 We've displayed two collages of photographs selected after great thought - so we'd presumed - from the
 treasure trove of the albums that we've accumulated over a period. Much to my dismay, I've seen a few
 of my friends and even a relative turn away disappointed after perusing them, simply because they did not
 figure in any of them. How can I ever convince them that their not figuring in the selection did not in any way
 diminish our feelings for them?

 Sanath happens to be yet another who doesn't figure in them and he's pretty peeved about it. This afternoon
 - I'd heard him plead to his mom that they should enter Lekha aunty's house for just six minutes. I'd like to
 believe that he's endowed with the ability to appreciate the duration of six minutes - therefore, on their return  leg they'd a quick snack and it was then that I heard him tell Vinu, their 'saarthi', that he didn't figure in any
 of the photographs while the former was viewing them!

 (b) The pain of using a credit card.

 While those of you staying abroad would find this strange, the extensive use of the plastic money is yet to
 gain popularity in this country. Today, I'd a rather long wait for my card to get processed at the department
 store - each time the cashier shakes his head at a failed attempt, the others waiting in the queue look at you
 as a villain and even, perhaps as a fraudster using faulty credit cards! One's in the limelight for no rhyme or
 reason and for all the wrong reasons!! - and finally, when it was successful after the nth time, I'd lost count
 by then and was sort of getting desperate to get through with it, the cashier says apologetically, "Sorry sir,
 the line has been too busy".

 (c) Vinu's driving tactics.

 Our 'saarthi' of the day who's quiet by nature but has the bad habit of literally 'sitting on the horn' - he,
 honks aggressively and the prolonged ones did irritate me - to drive off the guy ahead from out of his way.
 And god forbid the errant ones. He overtakes them and deliberately slows down soon after to break their
 momentum, simply to 'teach them a lesson'!

 I'd admonished him at the end of it and tried to tell him the importance of being nice to the other motorists.
 Wonder whether it would make him change but I was reminded about many such boors that I've come  across during my driving outings.

 I did try to analyse his behaviour. From his family background I reckon that he's a spoilt brat, having being
 given everything that he's wanted and asked for.


Tailpiece.

Another one of those hectic days but at the end of the day, 'it's mission accomplished'!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment