Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Nurturing the plants.

I go for my long morning walks and I think I've become a sort of fixture for the few people who are up and about at that time. Quizzical looks, exchanging of smiles and an occasional wave of hands have become common stuff. Probably my rig, complete, with my dad's walking stick swung like a cane in the horizontal position - basically for shooing away errant dogs that seem to be in fairly large numbers - and differing caps for the different days of the week add to the overall persona!

The bulk of my walk is through the bylanes that are devoid of traffic save for an occasional two-wheeler and I often notice households slowly stirring into morning activity as I move past. As I'd said earlier, the countryside is dotted with temples and quite a few of the early risers trudge along to visit their gods around the same time.

Today, a gentleman had overtaken me only to slacken later which was a phenomenon that I've been observing for the past few days. As I caught up with him and headed for my home run, I casually queried him as to whether he was competing with me. And told him that he must maintain the same pace all through the distance that he actually covers because getting past me wasn't adequate enough if he really cared about his own fitness! He's a rotund figure with a distasteful paunch!!

And then, on an analysis within, I'd asked myself as to whether my observation was prodded on by my irritation of him overtaking me. And not surprisingly, the answer was an overwhelming 'yes'! I haven't shed that competitive spirit in me!!

On return, it was time to water the newly laid patch of grass and the plants. And I'd completed uttering my prayers for the day. And no, I hadn't fumbled on the 'Vishnu sahasranama sthothram' today.


Tailpiece.

Life has indeed slowed down and activities like nurturing the plants give a soothing effect. Sanity needs to be maintained during the transition as there's a bigger assignment just waiting around ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment