Sunday, January 26, 2014

The 65th Republic day.

The poignant moment that shall ever remain etched in my memory of the 65th Republic day celebrations was the tears rolling down the cheeks of the mother of the late Sub Inspector K Prasad Babu, as his dad received the Ashok Chakra from the President of India.

Sub Inspector K Prasad Babu was a member of the Andhra Pradesh counter - naxalite force called the 'Greyhounds', who'd laid down his life while fighting the Maoists valiantly in the Andhra Pradesh - Chhattisgarh border region of Sukma on 16 Apr '13. Thirty three year old Babu played a key role in eliminating nine top cadre Maoists and held many others at bay in two successive encounters until he was overpowered by the brute majority of the attackers.

RIP, Prasad Babu. You've done the country proud and I salute a true braveheart. Your life's story shall be the inspiration for the generations to come, I'm sure.

The march past down the Rajpath was impressive, colourful and elegant as always. The way the marching columns kicked their foot that extra bit, while saluting the dais, with their faces full of hope and confidence reassured the viewers that India was in safe hands and that they'd never let our enemies get away with their evil designs, ever!

In the evening I was rooted in front of my television set to see the programme, 'Rediscovered : National Defence Academy' on the Discovery channel. Actually, the alert had been given to me by friends and course mates, well in advance, to keep the Sunday free for uninterrupted viewing, through telephone calls and by e-mail. So, two potential visitors were politely told to reschedule their visits. Wicked of me you might say but this is the reaction that can be expected of me, anytime anywhere - such is the pull of the Alma mater, even to this day.


Tailpiece.

1.The one hour programme was a nostalgic trip down memory lane. I was transported in time and went through my first to sixth terms recalling quite a few of the incidents during my stay at the Academy. Truly, time well spent!

2. I was also reminded of the shooting of 'A Cradle for Leadership' by Khurshid Ahmed - the second documentary to be made on the Academy - during my first and second terms in '73. 

No comments:

Post a Comment