Monday, January 27, 2014

Cash strapped!

I was on my evening walk and had not taken the torch despite mom's insistence simply because I'd planned my return in such a manner so that I could pick up some items from the department store, the laundry and the chemist. I'd decided to hire an auto rickshaw from the department store for my return trip.

It was a blistering pace as usual and had finally fetched up at the department store and thankfully, all the items that I'd wanted were available on the shelves. There wasn't much of a crowd and one of the boys, in attendance, helped me pick up the items of grocery. I'd also got my favourite flavour of ice cream in a family pack - that of the strawberry!

At the counter I'd offered my credit card for payment when the billing clerk reported that the machine had gone awry ever since the afternoon as the telephone lines had got erratic. Since I didn't have enough cash in my pocket, I'd then expressed my inability to pick up the items and apologised to the billing clerk for inconveniencing him. I'd walked out of the store after yet another 'unplanned mishap' that happens in plenty during one's life but had the satisfaction that none of the items that I'd picked up was urgently required.

I was aware that I'd a one grand rupee note to get a few essential medicines for mom and Lekha from the chemist and had begun the long trudge back home. Hiring a rick was unnecessary and I'd already put off collection of the clothes from the laundry for tomorrow.

The medicines collected, I could reach home about 20' later than usual. All well laid plans can go awry or if anything has to go wrong, it will! It's just a part of the game!!


Tailpiece.

No sooner had I reached home did Lekha emphasise the need for a loaf of bread and so, I'd gone to the bakery nearby only to be told that the last piece was sold about 10 minutes earlier and the girl at the counter felt genuinely sorry for having to let me go empty handed.

Doesn't it look all too conspiratorial?    

No comments:

Post a Comment