Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Oxygen therapy and other stories!

It's a lazy Sunday when I went about my chores in a deliberately slow manner and still found that I'd plenty of time to play around. My cousin had given me the latest update on her mom's condition; the proceedings give us hope:-

  (a) The Oxygen therapy.

  This sort of medication, wherein a patient is put in a chamber and provided with a sustained input of pure
  Oxygen, over a certain period - in my aunt's case, it's gonna be for seven days and each session extends
  to about 11/2 hrs - is available only at 14 centers in India and the only one in Kerala is at the Jubilee
  Mission hospital at Thrissur. The treatment, as I understand, focuses on total rejuvenation of the body
  and to tackle those organs that need attention through administration of appropriate medicines/
  intervention.

  In my aunt's case, since she's badly diabetic and her left toe has been affected - initial tests had revealed
  that her blood in that part of the body had a paltry 20% Oxygen content - any substantial rejuvenation has
  been ruled out by the doctor. A part of her toe will have to be removed, to what extent it's gonna be will be
  known by the end of this week.

  (b) A day of no walks.

  As I'd said earlier in the forum, I go for my regular brisk walks in the morning and in the evening. I follow
  a few circuits, avoiding the main road ever since a pick up lorry had passed by uncomfortably close one
  morning. I'd decided to give myself an 'off' on Sunday mornings to have that extra hour in bed assuring that
  the inaction would be neutralised by a more gruelling pace in the evening. But it was not to be as there were
  guests who'd dropped by.

  Wonder what the guests had thought? My mom says that the misery of not being able to go for the walk
  was writ large on my face. Hope she was only pulling my leg!

  (c) A pleasant interaction.

  It was when I was sitting glum with thoughts about my inactivity when my classmate and friend, Babu had
  called up to have a chat. He and his family reside at Toronto, Canada. We'd a fairly long interaction and
  could catch up from where we'd left last.

  The grouse about the lack of inactivity was finally busted. Thanks, Babu for the well timed(?) intervention!


Tailpiece.

The episodes of my forgetfulness are on the rise. Sample a few:-

     (a) misplacing my spectacles.
     (b) missing out on lines when I recite my prayers, especially the 'Vishnu sahasranama sthothram'.
     (c) derailment of thoughts while on a conversation.

Am I tending to Alzheimer's, I wonder?            

No comments:

Post a Comment