Sunday, January 19, 2014

My first public outing!

After an impassioned request from Jayarajan, the ACP and my friend, Narayanan I'd decided to attend this evening's function that was held on account of two reasons viz. :-

     (a) to felicitate, KS Ananthu, who'd shattered the high jump record in the recently concluded national
          meet. The lad hails from a very poor family and he's studying in class VIII of a local school.
     (b) to convey the heartfelt gratitude of the people to the 100 young volunteers - recruited as 'special
          police' - who'd done an excellent job of crowd management due to the increased influx of the
          pilgrims visiting Sabarimala.

The function was organised by the Guruvayur police force and it would be appropriate to mention that the organisation has indeed lived up to its role of the 'Jan Maitree' police!

Though the audience consisted of a little over 100 people from all walks of life, it had cohesion and a general feeling of togetherness. I was invited on to the stage to provide young Ananthu, the tips for his onward progress because I'd told earlier that he could be prepared for joining the armed forces to be able to pursue his passion on the athletic field while fulfilling his professional requirements!

I shan't opine about the speech that I'd delivered on the occasion but I must report that there were fiery and impassioned speeches before and after mine - which was bland - that received more noisy accolades from the audience compared to mine. However, at the end of it all, I'd quite a few coming up to take down my telephone number with the promise of visiting me at my residence subsequently.


Tailpiece.

1. What did I utter that fetched me instant friends? While thanking the 'special police', I'd touched upon the dilemma that I invariably went through, while short cutting the serpentine queues at the Guruvayur temple -  with the help of my contacts - and the two specific ones that I'd be left grappling with after every such episode were:-
 
   (a) the feeling that Guruvayurappan never took it kindly about my having taken the short cut.
   (b) the way I avoided looking into the eyes of those standing in the queue and with whom I'd acted
        smart(?), by illegally overtaking them.

2. And of course, I'd also said that the doors of my house shall remain open for anyone who's a problem. Did I sound like a seasoned politician, huh?

PS.

I've since decided that I'll stand in the queue even if the wait's gonna be a long one!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment