Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A quick end to a prolonged exercise!

On taking up my new assignment, I was briefed about a nagging case that has been dragging in court for over a decade or so. I'd asked for the relevant documents and briefing on the subject. After reading through the voluminous bundle, I was convinced that the fundamental problem was the ego of the lawyer and his associates who're handling the case. There were times when the advocate had given an appointment, only to cancel it at the last moment, simply because he was belittled by some worthy, from our side, earlier for reasons unknown.

After poring through the connected file and after pinpointing the actual reason, I'd asked my boys to take up an appointment for me with the lawyer which was granted at the second attempt. And this afternoon, around 1500h, I'd the pleasure of meeting with the gentleman whose office was in a bylane and reaching there through the mad Kochi traffic, at that hour, put all the skills of Balraj, my 'saarthi', to test!

Fifteen minutes of interaction with the lawyer was enough to find a solution to the vexed issue and he was more than eager to get the thing sorted out. For my guys who were with me, it was an achievement and a fantastic job done. No, I don't claim to be a seasoned troubleshooter nor am I a skilled negotiator(I lose my patience pretty fast). What I did was to appeal to his conscience, get him to understand the urgency of killing the issue and whatever I'd spoken was straight from my heart.

Probably, by visiting him in his den, I'd inadvertently played up to his ego. I ain't bothered because the thorny issue is soon gonna be a thing of the past!

No comments:

Post a Comment