Saturday, January 1, 2011

I want to have this cake and eat it too!

This morning I'd gone to the market for the weekly purchases. In the course of my buying spree, I'd also visited the 'malayalikkada' basically to spend some time with the old lady, who'd lost her husband on the eve of Diwali, last year. As I parked my vehicle, I was really glad to see her shop open, with her sitting at the counter, intently poring over a magazine. And I was glad to notice that she seemed to have gotten over her grief over her bereavement!

The moment she saw me, I could see her face light up with a million volt smile and had the look that seemed to say that she was expecting me. She wanted to know as to how Lekha was and where she was, at this point of time. And then giving me a thorough look, she lamented as to how weak I looked, having shed a few kilos and was pretty sure that my servant maid was not giving me the right food. In fact, she wanted me to go on a break at the earliest! However much I tried to convince her that I needed to shed some weight, she simply refused to accept my argument.

After having bought the requisite items, we talked for a while and she did express genuine surprise that I'd picked up the extremely popular woman's magazine 'Vanitha' to read. She then, took out a plum cake, neatly wrapped it up and handed it over to me saying that she'd wanted to give it to me but had been wondering as to how she could hand it over. I'd a lump in my throat because she'd humbled me with her kindness and this first gift of the year is truly priceless!

I guess I shall ever remain indebted to her for the genuine concern and love that she has for me.

O, God here's wishing that you'd be with her always and everytime!!

No comments:

Post a Comment