Friday, January 14, 2011

Tragedy at Sabarimala.

14 January sees a huge crowd of devotees at the Sabarimala shrine every year. This is because a devotee has the twin advantage of having the 'darshan' of the God and also a glimpse of the 'Makarajyothi' that lights up at the nearby hill only on that day. This year the crowd of pilgrims have been unprecedented. And the stampede caused by the returning devotees - wonder what the reason was - had caused the unfortunate loss of lives.

As I'd recounted earlier, I've been to Sabarimala eighteen times on the trot and most of the places, that are being talked about, are familiar as I've passed through them during my forays but must, however, admit that the place that has come live now - thanks to the tragedy - has never been crossed or passed through by me as I'd frequented a different route.

One of the beliefs associated with the Sabarimala pilgrimage is that a pilgrim can leave this earthly life anytime during the trek, on God's calling and towards that end, when the pilgrim breaks the coconut after the preparatory 'puja' and leaves for the shrine, a lamp is lit which only gets put off on his/her safe return!

Hope those 100 odd unfortunate pilgrims who lost their lives have attained their heavenly abode. And I offer my humble prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment