Saturday, February 1, 2014

A journey into the past.

After a hectic day, I'd settled down in front of the television set to watch my favourite programmes. Today marked the end of a long running serial on the Asianet channel named 'Kunkumappoovu' - literally translated, it means the 'saffron flower'. Aired during prime time, work in almost all the 'mallu' households came to a standstill because the ladies were eager to know of the travails of 'Professor Jayanthi', the lead character.

I would be lying if I were to say that I'd never watched it. I'd got sucked into the soap and would often update myself, on the lead character, with Lekha's inputs. The story had a liberal dose of sentiments, violence and emotional twists that played up to the gallery and was indeed very popular. To my mind, the singular aspect that the serial had highlighted was that even a 'goonda' was human, was passionate and was a man of principles! And that, seemed to be his undoing. He'd left his adversary with a stern warning - after bashing the daylights out of him and lecturing him about 'orderly conduct'. The seriously wounded villain jumped at the opportunity and without wasting even a second, shoved the sword into him from behind - perhaps, he was too frustrated after hearing the lousy and unconvincing moral lecture provided by the large hearted 'goonda'!! Incidentally, the goonda happened to be the professor's son-in-law!!!

The TRPs had, then, suggested that a sizeable percentage of the womenfolk had grieved along with the professor on the gory and untimely end of her son-in-law.

In the musical programme, 'Raag Rang' I was overjoyed to hear one of my favourite numbers - 'Musafir hoon yaaro, na ghar hai na thikaana, mujhe chalthe jaana hai....bas, chalthe jaana...' - from the movie, 'Parichay' picturised on a deglamourised and bespectacled Jeetender, who'd essayed the role of a teacher. It was a hit in the early '70s and I used to hear it, day in and day out wafting out of the speakers of the squadron ante room, while going through the paces of ragging and believe me, it used to buoy up my spirits every time, without fail.

Felt very nice as I hit the sack.


Tailpiece.

Mom's ayurvedic treatment seems to be proceeding on the right lines. But what surprises me is that she's yet to regain that confidence in her gait! And she's already past the halfway mark!!



   

No comments:

Post a Comment