Saturday, February 15, 2014

Mom following her own diktat!

We'd taken off from Palakkad at 8, in the morning, for my dad's house at Kottarakkara with breaks as appropriate for the comfort of the others as it was a long haul of about 350 kms. My sister and niece were also in company and hence, the journey was full of chatter with plenty of eatables and beverages doing the rounds - much to my discomfort, I must add, because even a morsel dropped inside the car affects my heartbeats!

We'd stopped at a fairly okay place for lunch and the choice of the eatery is usually based on the following essential requirements:-

     (a) it should have a good ambience.
     (b) it should have a good parking area
     (c) it should have clean, dry and user-friendly rest rooms and
     (d) it should have a fairly good selection of dishes on its menu.

We'd ordered for our food and it was spread without having to wait too long. Mom was served her requirements and soon after, everyone was up against her at the way she held her plate just below her mouth as she started having her lunch. They wanted their 'mom-mom-in-law-grandmother' to be an epitome of etiquette and I could understand their apprehension as to what the others would think. I'd to assuage their feelings saying that anything the elderly people did would not be laughed at by well meaning people and those who laughed, had to be forgiven for being the upstarts that they were.

Because she'd given me her answer that was so logical and pregnant with meaning, quite a while back and I quote, "You know, I used to be very harsh on your dad when he dropped morsels of food off the plate and come to think of it, his hands used to tremble because of his Parkinson's Syndrome". And she gave that wistful, faraway look genuinely sad at her obnoxious behaviour and knowing her, she must be tendering her apology every moment she spends in front of his photograph.

I remember having a lump in my throat and to play it down, I hugged her and said, "Mom, I'm sure dad had understood it and he doesn't have anything against you".


Tailpiece.

She's resorted to her present way of having food as an atonement for her sins(?) and wants to ensure that she doesn't drop any morsel.

PS.

We're at my dad's house by sunset after making quick visits to Sanil's and Lekha's places.



No comments:

Post a Comment