Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The simplicity!

The day was hectic in that Lekha had to be taken to two doctors with whom we'd fixed up prior appointments. The timings suited us on two counts, in that, the first was at 1300h and the other at 1645h and the destinations were in the proximity of one another! Accordingly, we'd set off from our home a trifle after 12.

Driving through heavy traffic on narrow thoroughfares is common but the difficulty to park the vehicle in a safe spot is even more daunting. As one grapples with such 'trivial' problems, there are saviours who come to one's rescue at the the most opportune moment - as though they're godsend! Today, I'd such an experience and my saviour was in the form of an ever-smiling and smart, parking attendant by the name of Kala. She seemed to have a thorough knowledge about all the vehicles parked in her crowded parking yard because on sighting me, she'd asked me to wait at a place with adequate shade from the tormenting sun so that two of the already parked vehicles had sufficient time to leave the premises.

Within a matter of ten minutes, she's directing me to my parking slot that - yet again - had sufficient shade. On securing my Chevy, I realised that my wallet was with Lekha whom I'd dropped earlier at a different part of the huge hospital complex. I'd to sheepishly tell the attendant that I was truly penniless and would do the payment when we returned after meeting the doctor. She'd smiled and let me go.

While we're leaving, I'd paid the parking fee and thanked her profusely for being simply nice. The look of surprise on her face was genuine and she managed to utter the words, "Sir, you remember my name?" I must admit that I too felt happy. What she didn't know, perhaps, was that we guys in uniform remember our men to their minutest details and keep a track of what actuates them or what saddens them to render prompt assistance when required. Remembering names has become a habit.


Tailpiece.

1. People are so simple. By addressing another by name, the transaction is enhanced as both the parties begin to respect each other!

2. I sincerely hope that Lekha's medical problems over the last couple of weeks are behind us.   

No comments:

Post a Comment