Thursday, February 6, 2014

Going back 50 years.

It's another journey down memory lane today. After having arranged for the skilled workers, almost a month back, they'd trooped in by 0800h to begin the work of removing the tiles, replace, repair/augment and nail in additional pieces to the supporting lattice work of wooden strips that held them and clean up the entire wooden ceiling beneath, before the relaying of the cleaned up tiles on my ancestral house. (Of late, there have been leakages during the rains because the iron nails holding the lattice work had corroded to nothingness, unsettling the lay of the tiles in the process).

They've traversed a bit above the halfway mark and it's gonna take the whole of tomorrow too but tonight, one can see the 'Belt of Orion', the other stars and constellations, along with  the crescent moon through the roof of the kitchen and the adjacent store room as the tiles there have been removed, cleaned and stacked up in the backyard for the night.

The roofing was done sometime in spring '65 under the supervision of my paternal grandfather. To quote my dad on how his house was built, "my dad used to write to me regarding the activities concerning the house building and I used to send him the money accordingly. I never kept an account of the money sent because I was sure that my dad wouldn't waste a penny, never use any of it for himself but yes, sometimes pay my kid sister's fees on loan - he used to insist on informing me about such transactions and would be satisfied only when he'd defrayed it from his own pocket".

And today, almost 50 years later, I was getting a job redone that was overseen by my grandfather about which my dad didn't have to bother during his lifetime thanks to the good workmanship that was ensured during the inaugural!


Tailpiece.

My wallet has thinned down considerably after my meeting with all those who'd come in to see me on observing the frenetic activity that was on.

No comments:

Post a Comment