Sunday, February 2, 2014

A retrograde step!

Today was the 17th day of mom's treatment at the ayurvedic clinic. Though she finds it easier to get in and out of Anto's autorickshaw and smoothly climbs up the steps of the landings leading to the spa - on the first floor - her movements, otherwise, are still painfully slow and deliberate. She gives me a feeling that there's a dent in her confidence after the fall that she had about three weeks before and is mortally scared that she might fall again.

Today's appointment went off as usual with her ribbing Anto about his vehicle's low speeds as we proceeded to the spa. Similarly, she was charm personified with the mother-daughter duo as she went through the paces of her treatment. She'd, of course, tried to impose restrictions on their treatment process by complaining about the heat of the oils being used on her and the pressures applied during the massages. And as she took leave of them, she'd even told them that she'd have preferred an in-house treatment without having to go back home everyday. I reckon, she's really got to like the duo - and translated to the treatment, I was under the impression that she was taking it all in the right spirit.

She'd bade Anto goodbye, on being dropped at our place, with the words that he should be back on the dot at 1030h tomorrow without fail. And after her evening tea, I'd coaxed her to walk for about a half an hour on our courtyard. She wasn't even halfway through the exercise when our neighbours happened to pass by, to whom she confided that the ayurveda treatment has been of no effect to her and that she preferred to be administered injections, augmented with tablets, which was a more effective form of treatment.

I must confess that I did feel distraught that our efforts, all through the previous fortnight, had been in vain and especially, when I'd insisted on sessions post treatment at the end of every week, between the three of them to find out that there was complete unanimity in the way things were progressing.

I fought with mom for not having enough faith in the system of treatment! It was then decided to call off the treatment and I'd called up the spa and Anto to inform them about the decision. To my surprise, they seemed to be sadder than me.

We're, anyways, planning to give it a break on 05 Feb for about a fortnight as I'd to go back to Kottarakkara to supervise renovation of my dad's house - for which the workers had already been alerted and arranged for - followed by Lekha's medical review by her doctor at Kochi.

And it's my fond hope that mom would come around to my way of thinking and agree to finish with the remainder of the treatment.


Tailpiece.

Why did mom have a change of heart? I've been trying to grapple with a few related inputs which are:-

 (a) she doesn't have faith in ayurvedic treatment.
 (b) she believes that only injections and tablets provide instant relief.
 (c) she fears that the intensity of our attention on her will diminish once she gets all right.

Or was it a wrong decision on my part to have put her on to this form of treatment in the first place? Because, the buck stops with me. Period.    

No comments:

Post a Comment