Saturday, February 8, 2014

Base instincts!

Today was the third and final day of the work on the roof of the ancestral house. As was decided yesterday, I'd reached the site by about 0910h by which time the work was already underway. The heat was oppressive and to make matters worse, I'd a bad bout of cold. I just couldn't bear a running nose and a nagging cough and therefore, had put myself on a three day cycle of antibiotics - an action endorsed by a doctor friend of mine!

Dust was there everywhere, despite the fact that I tried to shelter myself in the best way possible. Vijayan, my man, Friday was helping me to sustain through the three days of my presence by providing me with food and water as appropriate. Damn sweet of him and his family and he has ensured that one of his two sons, would be in attendance when I'm on the table. Some royal treatment, eh? And how do I thank them for their act of kindness?

One of the dishes, this afternoon, was my favourite fish curry and I was trying to serve it on to my plate when the bowl had slipped off from my hand and fallen down onto the floor. Now, etiquette and years of grooming have drilled into me that I must not eat any food material that has fallen down, especially in today's case when dirt was all around and the floor needed a thorough scrub - an activity that was only waiting for the work 'above' to get over!

Those finely cut pieces of fish looked delectable even though they're lying on the dirty floor. Meanwhile, the boy who was in attendance had gone out, presumably to take a call on his cellphone and at this lucky(?) break, without much ado, I'd picked up the pieces and tucked them away, one after the other, before the youngster could return. And felt pleased as Punch!

All these years of refined manners be damned!! I was only acting on my base instincts!!!

And I must shamelessly admit that this is not the first time. 
 

Tailpiece.

It took a workforce of 21 men and two women to finish the job over three days. By sunset, the house was nicely scrubbed with water and soap and I believe it to be dust free - well, almost - as the doors and windows are tight shut. And yes, the house is ready to host the entire family arriving next weekend to witness the annual festivities of a nearby temple.  

No comments:

Post a Comment