Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Our first rains!

Today we witnessed the first rains after having settled down at Guruvayur. The rains were not heavy, it's more of a pitter-patter but it did wet the countryside. Thankfully, it had come about much after I'd completed my morning walk and the sun was back by late afternoon. The day had meandered on, with me notching up a few pending work like the transfer of my personal bank account and paying up the telephone bill for the month.

Based on prior appointment, we'd headed for the car's servicing station to secure the bumper liner that had worked out loose after last evening's mishap. And as I was driving towards the place - almost within  the precincts of the town of Thrissur - a huge pick up truck had grazed and damaged my driving mirror much to my discomfort. The only comforting thought was that I was anyways headed for the servicing station to carry out essential work and this was yet another added to the list of woes!

And no, this time, I wouldn't blame the pick up truck driver because I'd seen him careen over to my side of the road to save a cyclist and perhaps, in hindsight, I could have tucked my car into my side further and stayed clear of him. The wait at the service station - my first visit after coming here - didn't take more than an hour but the mechanic, who'd attended to my Chevy's work had offered me a very difficult choice which was out of the couple mentioned below:-

     (a) the mirror assembly was not available on stock which required an advance placement of order. And
          it would cost Rs.11 grand and therefore, I'd the option of using my car with the damaged mirror that
          had its off-white backing, matching the body colour, ripped off in the morning's mishap!

     (b) to replace the backing covers of both the mirrors with chrome caps. The advantage was that they're
          readily available and cost much less at Rs. 21/2 grand.

Between Scylla and Charibdis, I chose the latter though the final look of my Chevy failed to excite me! The car looks classy only when the mirrors have the body coloured backing!!


Tailpiece.

The Chevy is due for its next servicing after completing 45,000 kms and that milestone is just about 3,000 kms away. I've decided to change the mirror backings to the original hue, at that time.      

No comments:

Post a Comment