Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Tense moments.

I'd hit the road by a half past 7, this morning and the first destination was my sister's place at Palakkad to drop mom for a few days that we're gonna be out. Achu, my nephew, was holding the fort as his dad had gone to the office and his mom, to the school. Enroute, I'd tried to get a medicine for mom by visiting a number of medical shops but all my efforts turned to naught and finally, had to reluctantly, entrust the job to Achu - he's been successful as reported by him in the evening. He'd asked the medical shop that they frequent, to get him the medicine and they've done it. Quite resourceful of the youngster, I must say.

We'd then set off for my ancestral house by about a half past 10. The journey was smooth, no boorish motorists were encountered and in fact, there was this gentleman on a two-wheeler who'd called our attention to the underside of the Chevy. My first doubt was as to whether I'd a flat, but since they're tubeless tyres there's was nothing to worry till I came to a dead stop and I'd no intentions of stopping because the traffic was flowing at a decent pace  I'd a few tense moments - on testing, I found that the steering wheel was behaving normal and the car wasn't pulling towards any side. Did any part of the car fall off? With these negative thoughts occupying my mind, I'd come to a stop at a traffic light and it was then that I saw a long white, plastic sack that had got detached - obviously - from the Chevy's underside and lying on the road a few feet behind.

It's then that my breath had returned to normal. Somewhere, sometime earlier I remember white plastic bags billowing across the road as I swished past and it was one of those which must have temporarily found a safe haven under my car's belly and had egged the motorist to alert us. Damn sweet of him.

As we stopped for lunch, the matter was confirmed beyond doubt! But those were some real anxious moments!!


Tailpiece.

1. Could reach our destination well within sunset.

2. The mythological, 'Om namah shivaya' on the television has upset my knowledge received from my elders when I was a kid. I'd always grown up with the belief that Lord Ganesha was elder to Lord Karthikeya - the only two children of Lord Siva and Parvathi. The serial now, says that it's the other way round and to make matters worse, the two have a sister too! How does one reconcile this anomaly?   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment