Friday, April 18, 2014

A thought provoking call!

I was drifting into my afternoon siesta when the cellphone had begun to ring. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't irritated but attend to the call, I did without delay. It was my uncle - the former 'Munshi' - from Thiruvananthapuram. Hearing him, I'd felt guilty because I'd missed out on talking to him last Sunday and no, there's no worthwhile alibi! I make it a point to talk to all my elders every weekend which is my way of showing them that I care - too little when I take into account their contributions towards my growth, I agree!

He was excited when he said that he'd just dreamt that I'd been anointed as the new naval chief. He's been following the resignation of the previous incumbent and the tortuous fifty odd days that the government had taken to appoint his successor. I'd thanked him profusely saying that I was glad that I'd become the chief, at least in his dreams.

To another query of mine, he said that he was being overtaken by loneliness without blaming anyone but himself and added that his children were too busy with their work and family commitments. Ever since the passing away of my aunt - Leela kunjamma - two years back he's been staying with his three children, in turns, though he prefers staying with his eldest son in Thiruvananthapuram - and where he's currently - as "it's a city where something or the other keeps happening every moment", to quote him. It was disheartening to hear about his feeling of loneliness and I'd mentally jotted down to prod my cousin to ensure that he spends quality time with his dad, everyday.

And I must get him to my house for a break as I'm sure that he and my mom will get along like a house on fire, like the days of old. But, I'm now seized with yet another doubt, am I taking my mom's presence with me for granted?


Tailpiece.

The pressures of work and family commitments have made many professionals to push their aged parents into old age homes. By providing the monthly remittances, they feel smug about the fact that they're looking after their parents without realising that their elders need much less - a fraction of their time and the consequent sense of belonging! 

No comments:

Post a Comment