Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Our first Vishu and other stories.

I'd got up by 5 to light the lamp and usher Lekha and mom, in that order, to see the 'Vishukkani'. The light drizzle that was prevalent after midnight had long stopped and an oppressive humidity had taken its place. To my glee, I'd mentally noted that I did not have to water the grassy expanse and the plants in the backyard because of the ample wetness but yes, the flower pots on the balcony needed to be watered. I'd decided to catch up on some more sleep as the decision to give my early morning walk a miss was taken without remorse, in the process!

       *                                                *                                                 *

Sadly, missed the newspaper boy when he'd dropped the day's editions. It's a custom that one hands over the 'Vishu Kaineetam' - a token of satisfaction for the services rendered and to commemorate the auspicious occasion - to everyone that drops by. Sathi Amma, Lekha's deputy and help, had come by in the meanwhile and helped her with the household chores. She'd made a quick exit on receiving her 'kaineetam' as she was expecting a few visitors at her place! Nice of her to make it on a holiday.

Earlier, mom had given us our 'kaineetam' and I'd, in turn, handed over Lekha and Sathi Amma, their's, as custom dictates!

       *                                                 *                                                  *

My friend's Man Friday had decided to visit the temple town. He'd expressed his desire when I'd visited the place at Kottayam, a couple of months back. Quiet, simple and efficient, his only weakness was that he drank toddy as though there was no tomorrow. An extremely likeable guy who'd run errands for me and had washed down my Chevy.

He was in an inebriated state and had to be allowed to rest for a while before being packed off back to Kottayam as I was off on a trip to Kochi and Kollam, to attend the marriage of my class mate's son tomorrow. There will be four of our classmates - including me, that is - who'll be attending the function taking place at the Anandavalleeswaram temple, at forenoon, tomorrow.

       *                                                 *                                                   *

The journey was by the long distance private bus after a long time. The drivers of these buses can seriously imperil the lives of those with weak hearts as they swerve, overtake other vehicles when there's hardly any space and slam on the brakes with a gay abandon! Our driver's multitasking qualities - like glancing frequently over his shoulder to put in a word to the conductor while overtaking other vehicles and negotiating bends - sure gave me the jitters!

Had reached my friend's place just in time as they returned from church. And it was a long yakkitiyak, after that, over a superb vegetarian dinner! Thanks Jojy and Saly for making my short visit comfortable and pleasant!!


Tailpiece.

It's, indeed, a fast paced Vishu! Meanwhile, calls and messages kept pouring in and I only hope that I haven't missed out anyone with my replies.          

No comments:

Post a Comment