Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Boby Chemmanur's feat and other stories.

Today's thoughts are a collage of happenings that have taken place within proximity - I must hasten to add that I'm not emphasising upon the distances of the places of their actual happening - but each of them has touched a cord deep within and hence the mention. So, without much ado, here I go:-

  (a) Boby Chemmanur's feat.

  Boby Chemmanur had undertaken a run of 812 km - from Kasaragod to Thiruvananthapuram - which
  ended yesterday at the state's capital. This was to create awareness among the Malayalees about the
  importance of donating blood as a humanitarian cause. He plans to set up blood donation centers in
  every district of the state so that blood is readily available and at cheap rates so that every individual
  benefits.

  As his name suggests, he's an industrialist - Chemmanur Jewellers is one of the leading outlets in the gold
  market. What makes people like him get into ventures - putting himself into extreme hardships - towards
  the welfare of the society is an anathema for many. Without jumping into any negative conclusions, it's my
  fond hope that his efforts would be the trailblazer for 'blood banks' at every nook and corner of the state
  and incidences of death due to non-availability or non-affordability of blood is gonna be a thing of the past!
  May God bless you Boby, for your noble efforts!

  (b) Rugma has done it.

  Several months ago, Rugma, a young lady from a very poor family and whose father has been bed ridden
  for long had come to meet me, along with her mother, with a desire to join the military nursing service. I'd
  given her a few tips to approach the sequence of written examination followed by the interview. She's a
  good learner and had also practised a great deal towards the run up and had come to seek my blessings(?)
  earlier this week before going for the final interview. Frankly, I'm ill at ease on such occasions because
  usually, the protagonist expects one to give the necessary impetus to achieving the goal, by putting in a  
  word at the right quarters which I don't.

  This afternoon, the thrilled young lady had called up from Bangalore to thank me on her clearing the final
  hurdle. How does one convince her that she'd done it on her own steam? I'm glad for the family as its bad
  days are slowly coming to an end!

  (c) A milk vendor with a difference.

  This evening, while on my usual walk, I'd stopped by a milk booth - actually, a room of the owner's
  house - to buy a couple of packets when the owner told me that he's been observing my outings both
  in the mornings and the evenings and suggested that I do my exercise at a school compound in the
  vicinity without being exposed to the dangers of the busy traffic. He's a franchisee of the 'milma' - The
  Kerala Milk Marketing Federation - and said that he's been in the business of selling milk over the past
  so many years.

  He spoke good English and asked me quite a few personal questions and somewhere, in between, had
  meandered into 'Transactional Analysis' - my pet subject. It's refreshing to get to know him and I did say
  that in so many words.

 "Ramachandran - that's his name - it's because I take this route that we've been able to befriend in this
  manner and I'm glad about it". It's one more friend that I've picked up thanks to my walk!


Tailpiece.

The road, in front of my house, is being hardened for resurfacing. Otherwise, during the monsoons, the whole place turns out to be a messy slush, making driving and mere walking, a horrible experience. Truckloads of rubble and mud have been dumped - and they have not been spread evenly - boxing up vehicular movements to and from my house despite the contractor's promise that there would be no hindrances in the course of his men's work. So much about promises and adherence to one's words!        

No comments:

Post a Comment